Friday, January 13, 2006

Farewell to Kalamandalam Hyderali...

A singer who succeeded in carving a niche in a predominantly temple/Hindu Classical art form- He had to surmount several hurdles to emerge successful- he had to face numerous obstacles and prohibitions in his chosen profession but eventually he was appreciated, admired by his listeners and Kathakali art lovers…

And when on Jan 5th 2006, he met with a fatal accident- all Kathakali art lovers all over the world were shocked-

When amma called me to tell abt Kalamandalam Hyderali’s accident, I couldn’t and didn’t want to believe it- the scenes they showed on TV- snaps shots of his interviews, singing- it was shocking!
While my uncles knew him personally, I had only heard and seen him sing on the dais during my annual vacations when I went to Kottakkal for the Ulsavam- and to think next year- he wouldn’t be there- it is a loss for his fans, Kathakali Music- and those who knew him personally….

1 comment:

Rajesh said...

Haridas and now Hyderali. We are losing them fast...

Heard him on Kairali TV. Haunting.